The UC Master Gardener's Website provides University of California research based information and assistance to home gardeners. Ask a question, attend a public class or find information through our free publications......Enjoy!
Application period announcement
Become a Master Gardener!
Applications are now being accepted
Click on "How to Become a Master Gardener" Menu item at left or follow this link.
Gardening with Limited Water
Learn the best ways to care for your plants during this drought. Either select the link from the top navigation above or click here for links to helpful information about using less water in your garden.
Norton Hall Demo Garden
Yolo County Master Gardeners were busy this autumn replacing the garden beds outside of the Yolo County Agricultural Extension Office at 70 Cottonwood Drive in Woodland also known as Norton Hall.
Download PowerPoint presentation of Plant list
September in the Garden
- Cut back on irrigation if temperatures drop.Plant wildflower or other flower seeds for spring bloom; be sure to water the soil after planting.Established perennial plants that are crowded should be divided and moved or shared with friends.
- Dig and divide rhizomes of irises; dry for 24 hours before replanting to prevent mold.
- Look for slugs and snails to reappear as the weather cools.
Bulbs & Flowers
Plant perennials such as salvia, lavender, columbine, Shasta daisies, and asters. Visit your nurseries or community plantsales for inspiration.
Plant sweet peas by this month to ensure sprouting of seedlings prior to the rainy season.
Plant cool season annuals such as snapdragons, pansies, and violas.
Plant ranunculus and anemone tubers for spring bloom
Vegetables & Herbs
- Directly seed for lettuce, turnip, radish, and spinach.Harvest tomatoes, carrots, chard, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, melons, and squash.
- Transplant seedlings or purchased plants of perennial herbs, Brussels sprouts, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, peas, and beets.
- This is a good month for planting trees and shrubs as the cooler and rainier months approach.
|Fall Vegetable Planting||9/22/2018|
|Year-Round Kitchen Gardening||9/23/2018|
New 2016 Edition "Gardener's Companion" Garden Journal on sale now! $18
Journal includes :
- Monthly Planting Guides
- Monthly Garden Checklist
- Vegetable Planting Guide
- Drought Tolerant Plants
- Guides to Growing
and much more for the Yolo County Gardener.
All sale proceeds support The UC Master Gardener's of Yolo County.